Some authors have mastered the art of the word better than the others. We are talking about such giants as Stephen Kink, Robert Stein, Shakespeare, Joanne Rowling, and other famous writers. A descriptive essay is the first step to the excellent level of language proficiency. It helps to operate different words in a variety of situations. It is not that easy to create powerful descriptive essays as it may seem, but this article will share some secrets.
The Nature of Descriptive Essay
Keep in mind the purpose of any good descriptive essay is to come up with a vivid reader’s experience. If your target audience agrees on the fact that they obtained a complete reflection of certain things while reading your piece, you’ve got it right.
People have five sense as you know: taste, touch, smell, hearing, and sight. The writer has to appeal to each of these senses as you never know what your reader prefers. It can be your teacher, your peers, parents, or even fans. So, to make everyone satisfied, it is important to create a descriptive essay which would cover all 5 senses.
Each time there is a need to write a descriptive essay, please mind the following options you can choose from:
- Individual or group of people
You should treat the process of writing a descriptive essay as the everyday job every author faces. Just like the artists paint their famous pictures and complete art puzzles, try to provide your readers will a well-rounded impression. It’s not enough to persuade like in the argumentative essay – it’s all about describing!
Of course, the whole essay should have a certain goal. It may be a lesson which you want your reader to learn from a specific event or life experience. You may write down how the described object influences your life.
Top Examples of A+ Descriptive Essay Topics
So far, we have concluded that the descriptive essay should cover five human senses:
But what are some specific examples of the topic ideas you may consider when deciding on the subject for your descriptive essay? Let us see…
- Usually, writer involves features which make the chosen individual a perfect role model or hero.
- You may write what makes your friend so unique by sharing your common experience.
- Create a comparison between an average human being and an alien from outer space.
- This guide might also be helpful when describing a character.
- Write about the specific location you would like to visit.
- Create a descriptive essay on the place that does not actually exist.
- Think of the most suitable location for your next holiday/vacation.
- The writer can even draw a full picture using the words describing the most magnificent and breathtaking sights of the world!
- As the time passed by, include the descriptive details of the certain event you liked the most.
- What is so special about your most iconic memories?
- Write about your most vivid childhood event like your first birthday party.
- Experience and knowledge
- Tell your readers about the time in your life when you zoned out of a specific setting and simply enjoyed the world around you.
- Use descriptive words to discuss the situation which let you out of your comfort zone.
- Your descriptive essay may be focused on one day in your life when all things suddenly went wrong, and tell how you managed to cope with the situation.
- Mind an item that possesses a sentimental meaning to you or your close people.
- A descriptive essay may tell about things you would like to bury in a time capsule to save them for the future generations.
- Create something really unique like the speech for the old-fashioned people who suspect you’re a witch, but you want to prevent your life from the threat of being sentenced to death.
Mind that is OK to mix the five senses in your descriptive writing to make the piece more vivid. You may choose a specific subject that has recalled the time in your life when you felt loneliest or happy.
Working on Your Paper Outline
To make a powerful descriptive essay, take the time to develop a structured plan known as the essay outline. It should contain an introduction, body, and conclusion. Make sure you have decided on the final topic before starting to write! You can always download some free paper examples online.
- Hook: Catch an eye of your reader using taste, touch, smell, sight, or hearing senses!
- Brief backup information! Mind that you should keep your wording discrete. The reader should want to know the whole story.
3-5 Body Paragraph(s)
- Begin with an Exciting Point: Get your reader on the rails by telling some surprising or even shocking things in the first sentences of each body paragraphs.
- Sensory details as your Plot Flows: It is important to keep track of sensory appeal.
- Don’t miss factual details: When you write about a specific personality, try to come up with some semi-relevant background information to help your reader understand your point better.
- Add a Bang: Play with the sensory details and don’t let people know the end of the story until the conclusion!
- Reflection: No descriptive essay can be meaningful without vivid examples from your own life.
- The significance of the Details: Keep in mind a descriptive essay tends to describe things, so include a lot of writing.
- Clincher Statement: Your last paragraph must finish with a clincher (intriguing fact, joke, quote, etc.)
Some effective recommendations for students who want to write a vivid descriptive essay.
- Mind the Chronological Order: Fast forwarding is not the best method. The writer must stick to the linear progression.
- Revision by Others: Ask your peers or parents to have a look at your final paper. Do they find all senses involved? Perhaps, they can help to enrich your descriptive language with new words. Also, make sure you know how to avoid plagiarism.
Sometimes, it is not that simple to write a good descriptive essay without help. If you want the language of your essay to be great in all ways, turn to the professional academic writing and editing services in the face of College Homework Help. These experts know how to use proper words when describing things. It is time to become a true artist!