Homework is today an integral part of the educational process; it makes learning easier and more effective. We have been involved with doing tasks since school years. And very less of us were thinking about who invented homework. What is the name of that smart person to believe in a magic of homework; when was homework invented; when was the invention made? What was the initial purpose of homework? Let’s find answer to who invented homework and why in this post and discuss the practical value of at-home task a teacher puts behind it.
Mentions of the term refer to the era of ancient Rome. In I century AD, Pliny the Younger, the teacher on the oratory who invented homework, asked his followers in Quintilian to participate in at-home activities. The practice was aimed at developing speaking skills of a person in a more informal atmosphere. Results of homework assignments were just impressive; such teaching approach was used by other tutors moving forward. An Italian pedagog Roberto Nevilis is considered the real “inventor” of homework. He was the person who invented homework in far 1905 and made it a punishment to his students. Since time when was homework invented, this practice has become popular around the world.
The end of the 19th century is notable due to significant changes in the education system. Great developments were associated with some changes in terms how frequently and what kind of homework was given by a tutor. This all affected education quality. Teachers following the approach of a tutor who invented the homework considered the fulfillment of homework as a necessary type of training; it was a compulsory part of training. From that point of view, teaching can hardly move forward without home lessons. Homework was defined as one of forms of independent work. Attaching great importance to the ability of the student to learn independently. In order for an at-home task to perform functions set by a tutor, it should meet the following criteria:
- it must be feasible;
- it should not be large and complex;
- it is not to be set at the beginning of training until students learn how to work independently.
Learning at home can contribute to the general studying process. One of important tasks the modern school is facing is to improve quality of teaching. And homework is a great tool; a person who invented homework is a real hero in this regard. You can gain a lot of knowledge with a professional helper.
When Was Homework Invented?
Owing to Roberto Nevilis, an Italian pedagog who invented the homework, we can notice obvious improvement in the education system and its efficiency since 1905. Since time when was homework invented, there is a real improvement in the education sector.
Educators who adhere to traditional views on the learning process believe that home learning is an essential condition for efficient educational activities. According to a person who invented homework, it is a way to develop students' initiative, independence, individuality, and creative imagination.
Apart from the above points, the need for home teaching is determined by following factors:
- During the in-school learning, a concentrated assimilation of the studied material takes place. Afterwards, the gained knowledge is forgotten. To prevent this forgetting, homework is needed;
- Mastery of scientific concepts requires their repeated comprehension and assimilation;
- The thoroughness and strength of the material assimilation being studied is achieved only when its memorization is dispersed;
- Home learning is important for the development of students' creative talents and abilities.
The success of the teaching depends on the success of homework preparing. This aspect has been considered since time when was homework invented; organization of homework is the most difficult thing in the teaching and educational process. Many aspects of this problem require the closest attention from the tutor.
When elaborating an assignment for children, teachers should realize that the process of educational material assimilation passes through obligatory stages:
- the formulation of the formation of skills
- application of new knowledge and skills in practice
If you wonder who invented homework and why, read further to know even more.
What Are the Main Purposes of Homework?
The role of homework has always been discussed not just by those who invented school and homework. Many people today believe that homework is not obligatory for mastering the studied material. But recent scientific research proves the opposite. According to the study, homework plays an important role in improving quality of students' knowledge. This is true about elementary school. Who invented homework and why?
According to Roberto Nevilis, who invented school and homework, this academic task provides the student with the opportunity:
- to work without haste;
- to study with no outside estimation;
- to choose the optimal rhythm (hours) of work;
- to independently plan the course of work;
- to involve all necessary sources of information.
Based on above points, the value of the academic assignment is in:
- fixing in memory the material disassembled in the classroom;
- repetition of previously passed material;
- consolidation and expansion of various skills necessary for independent work.
The main purpose of the homework:
- education of strong-willed efforts of the child, responsibility and independence;
- mastering the skills of educational work, expressed in various ways of teaching;
- formation of the ability to extract necessary information from various directories, manuals, dictionaries;
- the formation of student's research skills (comparison, comparison, assumption, hypothesis construction, etc.).
A suitable system of homework assignments in each class and the totality of all classes is a prerequisite for the students to successfully master the program material. It necessitates to apply different types of homework. The main goal of the tutor is the rationale for the type of homework depending on material being studied. The tutor should be able to correctly combine different variants of homework in each class and in all classes. A good option would be to get students out of the box with outdoor learning.
Types of Homework
Since the time when was homework invented, there were not many types of individual tasks. Since the person who invented school and homework didn’t have a chance to do enough “testing” in this regards, it was difficult to him to create a formula of effective at-home studying.
Nowadays, teachers involve the following types of homework in the studying process.
- Mastering material under study according to the textbook;
- Performance of oral exercises;
- Performance of written exercises;
- Performance of creative works (essay writing, etc.);
- Preparation of reports on the studied material (coursework writing, etc.);
- Conducting observations and experiments.
With a balanced combination of above homework types, it is possible to help students easily perceive information.
What’s the Role of Homework in Improving the Education Quality?
One way to ease the learning process is to improve the content and organization of at-home tasks on the subject. The variety of homework variants is vast. Each is aimed at improving the quality of students' knowledge, enhancing studying process, and systemizing acquired knowledge.
Psychologists have found that the assimilation of knowledge and methods of activity is critical. The primary perception and consolidation of knowledge during the lesson with any arbitrarily effective organization of the study process must necessarily be supported by subsequent thinking and applying new knowledge. And if the primary perception and consolidation of knowledge can be frontal, the subsequent work is to be individual and independent.
Homework is not a means of controlling a student. It is an opportunity to devote time to the studied subject. In such a way, you can systematize knowledge gained in the class and sharpen your skills on a particular topic. Without completing at-home tasks, the student deprives himself of additional time in studying. The goal of such an assignment is to consolidate knowledge and practice the skills acquired in the lesson.
If you have other ideas and questions about who invented homework and why feel free to share your comments in a below section.